Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Woodford Reserve Distillery Tour

A few months ago I took a tour out at the Woodford Reserve distillery. I never posted anything about it because I'm a slow ass. I don't know why I hadn't been there before. I only live about 10 miles from it and I love bourbon. Whatever. I had a good time.

The distillery is about 3 miles out side of Versailles KY. It is pretty far off of the main road. You have to drive out to the distillery, and if you've ever been to a winery or a distillery before then you'd know that they usually are off the beaten path a bit. Woodford is no different. The land it sits on is beautiful. Lots of acreage, a nice little creek that they used to use in the Bourbon. Lots of barns and stuff. Just really really pretty.

Woodford lets you tour the entire facility; everything from the big ass cyprus ferminting tanks to the copper distillers on to the warehouses that hold the oak barrels for aging. The tour is really insightful and anyone interested in how their booze is made will enjoy the tour. Our guide was a little ridiculous. I can't remember his name, but he made silly jokes and such, but overall it was very enjoyable.

The tour concludes with a shot and some bourbon ball chocolates. You can chill in their visitor center and read up on the distilling process even more if you wish. If you want to buy a bottle or barrel of Woodford Reserve you can. Bottles run around $40 and barrels around $10,000 for the reserve stuff.

I'd definitely suggest taking the tour if you are interested at all in Bourbon Whiskey and it is a very very cool place to visit. If you are from Kentucky, you should go and if you are just visiting, then definitely put it on the places to stop. Woodford Reserved couldn't be more in the heart of Bourbon/Horse country.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: