Sunday, November 16, 2008

Best Cheap Bourbon


Bourbon is .... is.... amazing. If you aren't 21 and have been drinking for a few years, whisky rules, but bourbon's best. Hey, I can't help it, I'm from the land of Bourbon and Horses, and I love it. What I typically don't like about bourbon is the price tag. Bourbon prices range from about $7 (cheap) to ridiculous. What I am looking for is a good mix between price and taste, or in this test, drink ability.

For my test I wanted to try really cheap booze. Everyone can talk about Jim Beam and Makers, but what do us poor-folk drink when we don't have $14 or more to drop to drink. Well I've got some choices.

Kentucky Tavern (purchased for 8.99) (two thumbs up)
This shit is cheap in Lex. and it is pretty good. Even Tastings.com gave it an 86 rating, but hell who knows where they are, or even if they know what they're talking about. My first hand experience with the product was good. It mixes well, you can drink it straight (even though I wouldn't) and it is (most importantly) cheap. For a little more than the price of an extra value meal, you and a friend can get ripped.

Evan Williams (purchased for 8.99) (two thumbs way up)
This is a really smooth with a good warm finish. I like it a lot. It makes me feel funny inside and it is tasty. Evan's bottle looks like Jack Daniels, which is probably on purpose. Over all this was probably my fav of all that I have tried, and it is pretty cheap. In fact over at wikipedia, they say that it is the second highest selling bourbon in KY. Good stuff

Runners up are:

Ancient Age
Ten High
Heaven Hill

No comments: